Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Defeat
Well, I told Carl I was going to write something about Chumbabwamba but - let's face it - I'm never going to top this. All I can offer him in return is the smattering of random Half Man Half Biscuit MP3s that I was able to find via The Hype Machine.



Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Quintessential! Evidently, Fred Titmus was a cricketer.

I Hate Nerys Hughes (From the Heart)
Can't really agree with the sentiments expressed here. Who didn't love The District Nurse? Seems to be some kind of (attempted) metal pastiche. As featured on the NME's legendary C86 compilation.

Dickie Davis Eyes
Again, a (failed) genre pastiche (this time, prog) which expresses sentiments I can't agree with ("Mention The Lord of the Rings just once more/And I'll more than likely kill you" etc.) in a way that I find entirely amusing. Is that the theme from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy they go into at one point?

Apparently, Half Man Half Biscuit are still going in some form or another. They even have a website, where you can buy their music. The site also informs us that, a couple of years ago, HMHB put out an album called Achtung Bono - reason enough to love them forever, surely.

Wonder which sports celebrities Nigel Blackwell is singing about nowadays. Can I put in a vote in for a song about this year's anti-heroic Tour de France loser Cadel Evans? I mean, look at this:



And then there's this:



Apparently, "dog" means "foot" in Australia.

Surprising how sad I was to see this year's Tour end. Still, at least Cadel didn't win.

No comments: