Thursday, May 15, 2008

video
Out of the Loop/Into the groove~
Still out of the loop. The long-awaited release of Max/MSP 5 totally passed me by. When did that happen?

Anyway, I've finally caught on, downloaded the demo and made some time in my schedule to try it out (by staying up 'til 2AM every night). My first impressions suggest that it's going to be well worth the $200 upgrade fee.

Max 5 has a completely overhauled programming interface, making it waaay simpler to use (and nicer looking) than any previous version. There are also a number of key improvements to how Max handles musical time - making it much easier to build beat-centric patches.

I can't tell you the hell I went through with Max 4, just to build the chintzy step sequencer I use when making Not Me tracks. But after two nights trying out Max 5, I'd already built a completely new, far better sequencer.


The only downside is Max 5 seems to be bit more processor hungry than Max 4, making it hard for me to run my old connect_icut patches in the new version. Luckily the two versions are totally separate applications, so installing one doesn't mean wiping the other. Particularly good news because I want to keep using my old Max 4 patches and I can't afford a new goddamn Mac.

Anyway, y'all know how I love Max/MSP. It seems to me that the new improvements (nicer interface, increased ability to work with rhythm) could make Max accessible to a much wider user base. It could even create a minor revolution in contemporary electronica. Here's hoping.

2 comments:

Rudboa said...

Can you tell us where Max 5 sits in the spectrum of music software? What is the main feature and benefit? I had a look at their website but it doesn't do a good job about answering these basic questions.

I came across your blog because I searched for the best scan of the cover of 'Current 93 - Black Ships Ate the Sky' and it led me to you (nice scan!).

I subscribed to your blog and it is the only blog on my Google page that doesn't display titles of posts, methinks a serious omission.

It's refreshing to read about music on this blog - you tell it like it is man! And funny too.

Biggie Samuels said...

For my take on why Max/MSP is the isht see

...this
...and

...this
...and

...this

That should keep you busy.

Thanks for the kind words. I'll try to sort out that post title business.

Can't taken credit for that C93 scan, sadly. I just hijacked it from someone else's site.