Saturday, March 15, 2008

Ubu Studies 101
When he goes for it he really goes for it. Not one but two extraordinary Carl Impostume posts about Pere Ubu. One day, these posts are going to be set texts for every American Studies degree. Shamefully, the only Ubu album I have is The Modern Dance (budget-line CD reissue, $11.98 at Zulu). Isn't that Matt Woebot's number one album of all time?

The only thing I'd really take issue with is Carl's explanation of/excuse for David Thomas' misogyny. I suppose there is some truth in the idea that the woman-hating aspects of classic/garage rock arose from the sexual repressiveness of post-war American society but I'm not sure that excuses Thomas calling an album Why I Hate Women.

Also the statement "there is no contradiction between aesthetic or formal radicalism and political conservatism" seems highly debatable. You can't just throw that out there and leave us hanging, Carl! Perhaps he should do a whole series of posts on Great Reactionaries of the 20th-Century Avant Garde.


I was reminded of another great Impostume moment by this post on Chris T-T's blog. Foolishly, I let the fact that Richard Dawkins sets my teeth on edge allow me to get in way over my head comments-wise. Just to clear things up: yes I do think that organized religion is a load of bollocks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sam! Read the Wire's take on Portishead three? Rum, as it's brilliant.

yeah, "why i hate women"...it's tricky.. let me think about it

actually i might do a post on David Lynch and really have a go at the whole reactionary/ radical thing as he pretty much embodies it( though the prospect of how much of my life this will consume strikes fear into my heart, that ubu post took the best part of a week and left me with several thousansd other things to say)... Pound springs to mind...

the inland empire soundtrack's good innit? not sure about the film tho'

Biggie Samuels said...

Carl? Is that you?

Thanks Sam! Read the Wire's take on Portishead three? Rum, as it's brilliant.

Haven't read that yet. Who did the review?

Hang on, I thought you hated The Wire!

actually i might do a post on David Lynch and really have a go at the whole reactionary/ radical thing as he pretty much embodies it

I was thinking of maybe writing a little thing about Dave Sim, to ad some Canadian content to this discussion. Can't think of anyone who mixes such extreme formal inventiveness with such an extremely unpleasant world-view. Lovecraft?

the inland empire soundtrack's good innit? not sure about the film tho'

Haven't heard that. Is it Angelo Badliawhatsit?

Carl, when I'm in the UK this spring I'm going to hunt you down and give you a Blogger tutorial. In the meantime:

(i) Don't forget to login before you leave a comment, genius.

(ii) That was pretty bizarre the way you pasted your second Ubu post over your Portishead post so that it appeared after your first Ubu post. You can actually alter the date on any post by clicking on "Post Options" at the bottom of the post editor. Simple.

carl said...

yeah a blogger tutorial would be good.... are the Ubu posts back to front? and the soundtrack is the first in a while that angelo badalawhatzit hasn't done.. it's all lynch! and great....

I'm a bit keener on the Wire these days as several writers I really like, Reynolds, Stubbs, Mark K-punk and Keith Moline are pretty heavily in there..but it is still rather..... fatiguing

dave sim? who he?

Biggie Samuels said...

"are the Ubu posts back to front?"

No but my comments on the Portishead post are still in one of them (or they were the last time I looked).

"dave sim? who he?"

That's what Wikipedia is for. And I quote: "David Victor Sim (born May 17, 1956 in Hamilton, Ontario) is a Canadian comic book writer and artist, best known as the creator of the 6,000 page graphic novel Cerebus the Aardvark."

Chris said...

Sam, you're a sweetie and I miss you. You're probably in the UK right now MBV-ing and I haven't seen you, which is annoying but inevitable.