Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Bloody Valentine Gift to You
So... will it happen? The UK tour, the shows in mainland Europe, the new album, the whole nine yards? As someone who's been an MBV fan since the Glider EP, I'm skeptical, to say the least. Yeah, we've also been promised a new Fennesz album in the coming months and I fucking doubt that'll happen either.


Seriously, I'm still 99% per cent certain that the MBV reformation shows will be canceled at the last minute. That's what 15 years of broken promises will do to a person. And yet the band's music means so much to me that I've bought tickets for shows in Manchester and London and begun planning a whole trip to the UK around them.


Will it happen? And if not, when will it not happen. Christ, it's like waiting for the other shoe to drop! Lest the anguish become unbearable, I prescribe a dose of MBV rarities, administered via online streaming. That might help to ease the pain somewhat. On the other hand, it could just increase the anticipation.

For what it's worth, here's your annual My Bloody Valentine's Day dose of sharity.

1. "Map Ref 41N 83W" is the Wire cover discussed in this post. The MP3 embedded in the player is encoded at mere "high quality" for your streaming convenience. It doesn't really capture this, one the greatest recordings of music in the history of recorded music. Therefore, I'm making the unusual move of allowing you to actually download a "higher quality" version from here. I don't normally do this kind of thing but MBV's version of "Map Ref" really is essential and not easy to come by through legitimate channels.

2. "We Have All the Time in the World", like "Map Ref" is one the few MBV recordings to emerge post Loveless. It's rather atypical for the band - a synth-heavy take on the Bond theme originally sung by Louis Armstrong. It does, however, have that quintessentially MBV tinge of indescribable otherness about it. It was recorded for a charity compilation called Peace Together but I got it from an Island Records sampler that came with some UK music monthly back in the day.

3. The Andy Weatherall mix of "Soon" is actually in print as a vinyl bootleg but I don't think it's ever been available in a legitimate digital form. This mix is so early 90s it hurts. I remember hearing Coldcut mix it into KRS One's "Sound of the Police" at a music festival in Brighton during my university days. Yeah, that early 90s.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Arliss said...

I saw MBV at the Commodore on Canada Day 1992!
LOUDLOUDLOUDLOUDLOUDLOUDLOUDLOUDLOUD
actually, maybe a bit too loud. Kevin Shields kept kicking his spring reverb amp in between songs and it sounded like a fucking explosion. I gave my earplugs to my then-girlfriend which meant I had to spend most of the show with my hands over my ears. I'd like to say that it was awesome, but I'm not so sure.
(good for bragging rights, though)

Biggie Samuels said...

That show is actually pretty legendary as it forms the basis of Loom, the most widely circulated MBV live bootleg.

David said...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they'll cancel too, but here's hoping... And for the Fennesz album, I'd much rather see that happening. Great blog, by the way.

Biggie Samuels said...

Cheers. How about the forthcoming Portishead album, eh?

Anonymous said...

I don't recall that you were untouched by You Made Me Realise / Feed Me With Your Kiss / Isn't Anything, and do you not remember the copy of The Things I Miss taped (sssh) from a John Peel show? Are you saying you only 'became a fan' after the release of Glider?

I've forgotten my bleedin' google password but I think you can guess who I am. Looking forward to the new Portishead LP btw...

Biggie Samuels said...

I think the thing that got me interested in MBV was an NME article published to coincide with the release of "Glider". The first thing I did after reading that was go and dub your radio copies of the songs you mention. Then I found a copy of the "Soon" 7" in the bargain bin at Woolworths. And now, here I am, 18 (?!?) years later, wondering if $50 is too much to spend on a copy of "Sunny Sundae Smile".

By the way, Dan, if you can't remember your Google login, you can just check "Name/URL" and type in your name.