Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Current Listening
Happy birthday to me. I'm 34. Here's what was assaulting my ears as I entered the depths of my mid 30s...

Vinyl

Blackdown - "The Danger Line" 12"
Tim Buckley - Starsailor 180g LP
Burial - Untrue 2LP
Can - Delay 1968 LP
Cluster & Eno - self-titled 180g LP (my absolute favourite right now - gorgeous '70s science documentary ambiance)
Cluster - self-titled (aka Cluster '71) 180g LP
The Fall - "There's a Ghost in My House" 12"
Ben Frost - Theory of Machines LP
Fairport Convention - Full House LP
Gang Starr - Daily Operation LP
Haswell & Hecker - Blackest Ever Black 2LP
High Places - "Shared Islands" 7" picture disc
Jan Jelinek - Kosmicher Pitch LP
KTL - KTL 3 one-sided LP
Os Mutantes - self-titled 180g LP
Pale Saints - The Comforts of Madness LP (a proto-UK post-rock classic - every single song is utterly, confoundingly lovely)
Scorn - Stealth 2LP (the time seems just about right for
a Mick Harris return-to-form album - deathstep anyone?)
Shackleton - "New Dawn" 12"
The Third Eye Foundation - "Universal Cooler" 7"
3/4hadbeeneliminated - The Religious Experience LP
Caetano Veloso - self-titled (aka Irene 1969) 180g LP
Caetano Veloso - Araca Azul 180g LP
The Velvet Underground - VU 180g LP
Von Sudenfed - Tromatic Reflexxions 2LP (it seems to have become shockingly fashionable to pretend that this wasn't obviously the best album of 2007 but I am not affected by such ridiculous trends)
Scott Walker - 'Til the Band Comes In LP
Iannis Xenakis - Electro-Acoustic Music LP
Richard Youngs - Autumn Response LP

CDs
alva noto - xerrox
Francois Bayle - Erosphere

Shelagh McDonald - Let No Man Steal Your Thyme
Black Moth Super Rainbow - Dandelion Gum (not sure I get what all the fuss is about but I'm determined to figure it out)
M Rosner - Morning Tones

Bridget St John - Songs for the Gentle Man
Various artists - Brazil 70 (although it contains a few real duds this is worth hearing as a kind of missing link between the first Soul Jazz Tropicalia collection and those Brazilian post-punk compilations that came out a couple of years ago)

2 comments:

crys said...

For a moment your blog entry really threw me for a loop... since it's only 7:17 pm on
Dec.31st. But i guess you're getting a head start on things.
SO.. may i be the first (on yer blog at least) to wish you the happiest of birthdays Sam!!!
Hope you and Kris have a sweet new years and that all is well and good around there!

lotsa love xo

Biggie Samuels said...

Caught me! Yeah, so I did publish that post a little before the New Year actually happened but I don't intend to spend any of my birthday blogging so...