Thursday, October 18, 2007

Starsailor Released
I've been meaning to follow up on this post since picking up the recent vinyl re-issue of Tim Buckley's Starsailor. The ever reliable and wonderfully named Four Men with Beards label was responsible for making this particular 180g dream come true.

As far as I know, there are still no plans for a CD re-issue but I must admit to being out of the loop since taking the "long walk" from the record store. You'd think there'd be a lot of demand for a deluxe 2CD bonus track-infested version of Starsailor.

But I doubt most listeners care about that kind of thing any more. They'd probably rather just pay a wad of cash to download the album as a series of shitty sounding MP3s.

Anyway, while Starsailor remains (to the best of my knowledge) out of digital print, I don't suppose I have to feel too bad about allowing you to stream the album's second best track - "Monterey".



Christ what a song! "Under a loom of stars/In the vulgar cold" has to be the most evocative opening line of a song, ever. And things just get better from thereon in. "Monterey" has an incessant skyward trajectory that defies appropriate description.

So just listen.

No comments: