Friday, September 21, 2007



What? Guitar Music??

I finally found out when Oren Ambarchi is playing in Vancouver. He's appearing on October the 17th at the Dance Centre as part of Vancouver New Music's Guitars! Guitars! Festival. Other artists appearing at the festival include Bill Frisell, Richard Bishop, Keith Rowe, James Plotkin and Nicolas "Hotshot" Bragg.

Interestingly, I was at the record store that Hotshot manages just today and I happened to pick up an Oren Ambarchi LP. Actually, the album in question is a duo release with Martin Ng called Reconnaissance. The video that accompanies this post is a clip for the opening track from Reconnaissance and was created by ace graphic designer and Mego affiliate Tina Frank.

5 comments:

charlie m. said...

Keith Rowe?! Oren Ambarchi?!

I hope you plan on going and telling me how fantastic it is :).

I need to get some of Oren's solo work, wallet permitting...Also I've had a bizarre fixation with using guitars myself lately...

Biggie Samuels said...

See, I would have thought you'd be more excited about James Plotkin but maybe I'm just typecasting you.

Anyway, I wouldn't miss the Ambarchi show for the world. Stuff like this doesn't happen that often in Vancouver.

And if you're going to get an Oren Ambarchi album, I'd definitely go for Grapes from the Estate.

crys said...

noooooooooooooooooo..........................................
Man... i'm not bummed about Ambarchi cuz we're bringing him to Winnipeg next year (believe it or not). BUT KEITH ROWE!!! I am crying here...

You want something really yummy... check out FLYPAPER on Staubgold. Ambarchi + Rowe drone madness....

I've only listened to it once so far, but 'In the Pendulum's Embrace' sounds excellent.

Biggie Samuels said...

I haven't heard Flypaper but I'd like to. I've only heard one track off In the Pendulum's Embrace but it was pretty fantastic. Is that even out yet? I'm waiting for the vinyl on Southern Lord.

Good times.

charlie m. said...

I will take your suggestion. I have to admit I'm not famillar with James Plotkin.

I received your mix cds a few days ago in the mail. Thank you much. I always wanna burn you a mix but Im afraid I'll send you a bunch of stuff you've already heard...