Thursday, July 12, 2007

What I Did On My Holidays
1. Walked around Wales a lot, as evidenced by the following mini photo essay
:





2. Bought lots of music including:

Trim - Soul Food Volume One CD
This debut "mix-tape" from the Ghostface of Grime was pretty much worth the wait. According to The Wirewool, this CD is supposed to come with a free bonus compilation but I didn't get one, which is a shame given the quality of the track Roo uploaded.

Mordant Music - Carrion Squared CD
The official party line seems to be that this collection of rejected library tracks doesn't "work as music" because the songs are too short, sketchy and minimal to amount to much. Personally, I love albums that take this whimsical tack - notably Eno's Music for Films, General Magic's Rechenkonig and even the first two Sebadoh albums.

Alog - Amateur 2LP
The only problem I have with this is that the opening track ("Son of King") is so brilliant that I keep listening to it over and over and haven't given the rest of the album a fair chance. All hail the New Electronic Underground!

Von Sudenfed - Tromatc Reflexxions 2LP
Okay okay so I admit that this is way better than the new Fall album. I guess I just get put out by people bigging this up without giving respect to similar-sounding Fall albums like The Unutterable and The Light User Syndrome.

Oren Ambarchi - Lost Like a Star LP
Not his best but a pretty ravishing piece of drone-work nevertheless. Apparently, he's playing in Vancouver this autumn.

3. Had dinner with the mighty Woebot and learned the following juicy tidbits about his private life:

(a) He's eight feet tall

(b) He lives on the moon

4. Left London right before:

(a) Von Sudenfed played

(b) The Tour de France started

Double doh!

6 comments:

Christopher O said...

Welcome back! Looking forward to snagging the Trim album as I'm sure it'll be brilliant.

Thought you'd be interested:
Skream
Live Set on BBC radio.
http://www.filter27.com/archives/2007/06/skream_essential_mix.php


One word: Headphones.
Ok, its a compound word, but you know what I mean.

Biggie Samuels said...

Does dubstep work on headphones?

crys said...

welcome home sam (+Kris!).
Those shots of you in the UK countryside are pretty sweet... that last pic totally looks like the town that they shot the Prisoner in!(?)

I'm so anxious to go back... I'm jealous... i gotta say.

Biggie Samuels said...

Portmerion. Well spotted!

Apparently, I'm "running away from the giant bouncing ball" in that picture.

Christopher O said...

it's all in the EQ

Biggie Samuels said...

Presumably you need some pretty decent headphones to start off with.