Tuesday, May 01, 2007



I Have A Lot on My Plate!

In the mean time, why not sign my "Stop Hassling Alec Baldwin" petition? Just leave your name and a short message in the comments box. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

You know, it was surprisingly hard to find a decent, representative YouTube clip displaying Baldwin's genius performance on 30 Rock. I settled on the above montage, even though it includes pet-death "humour", which is a massive turn-off for me. To balance this out, I'll link to a genuinely charming Woebot video.

While we're talking TV:

(i) Don't forget that Veronica Mars starts again tonight.

(ii) This mysterious blog is somewhat interesting, particularly as it features one of the most astute pieces of Buffy-related writing in a while. And I quote...

"An awful lot of bad television comes about as a result of people trying to copy good television without understanding how it works. For example, the whole point of Buffy the Vampire Slayer was that it took place in a hormonally-charged, interdimensionally-adolescent world where demonic possessions and blood-soaked vampiric rites were extensions of / metaphors for / parables about the horror of growing up: it wasn’t a fantasy series with teen soap-opera elements, it was a series in which the fantasy and the teen soap-opera were the same thing. All subsequent attempts to copy the Buffy format have missed this fairly basic point, which means that every piece of sci-fi tack on television now has “relationship issues” clumsily grafted into the plot, as if nobody would possibly be interested in seeing a story about giant scorpions escaping from the Earth’s core unless one scene in three looks as if it’s been cut-and-pasted from Sex in the City. "

11 comments:

Robert Downey Jr. said...

Yeah! Alec Baldwin is innocent! And I should know - I was in "A Scanner Darkly"!

M.Olsen said...

If my father was pressured to quit his job every time he said something mean to me, that would it have made it even harder for my mother to collect the child support payments.

Biggie Samuels said...

If I was publicly castigated every time I said something regrettable to a loved one, I'd be even more repressed than I am already.

Anonymous said...

Chill world chill. Ireland actually is a pig, and he wasn't being mean - just stating a fact. Now let him be!

Biggie Samuels said...

And who doesn't love piggies and all our animal friends? "Anti-cat is one jump away from Anti-Semitism", as Philip K. Dick said.

I just keep thinking, "What would Ghostface do?"

jason said...

Thank you Sam. I was beginning to feel completely alone.
"It's like the bear is reading my mind!"

Biggie Samuels said...

I only vaguely remember that one. Remind me.

My all-time fave Baldwin moment is actually from State and Main - where he flips that car, clambers out, staggers up to Philip Seymour Hoffman and says matter-of-factly...

"Well that happened."

Jason said...

It's from "The Edge". The movie where a bear stalks he and Anthony Hopkins.
You know, if he had only uttered that line at the end of the phone call to his daughter, everything would still be alright.
Come to think of it, he should've just released your favorite quote to the press as a statement after the incident. That would've been alright too.

Biggie Samuels said...

Wow, I really thought that was a quote form 30 Rock. Can't you imagine Jack saying that (perhaps to a bemused Kenneth?)

That film sounds terrible. I hope the bear wins.

Jason said...

No. It's good.
TRUST ME.

Biggie Samuels said...

I should add that Jason sent me a truly awesome photograph of his Dad shaking hands with AB himself.