Friday, January 05, 2007

Consensus!
Very pleased to see that so many Blogglebum Cage 2006 picks have made it into The Wire's year-end round-up. Indeed, a couple of my faves topped the overall list (Burial is record of the year, with The Drift coming in second). Probably the most personally pleasing placing, though, is A Life Without Fear at number seven. Boo-Ya!

There's a point to all this, by the way. I've noticed a great deal more general agreement among discerning music fans over the last year or so. During the last few years, it's seemed like you could have the exact same taste as someone, without having heard any of the same recent albums. Now, it's as if the disturbing paucity of really remarkable stuff is forcing a lot of thoughtful listeners to the same conclusions. I guess that's a bad thing but I find it oddly cheering.

8 comments:

Saelan said...

I like the layout changes you've made. "Ver todos mi perfil" sounds a hell of a lot better than the english version. I miss your "I love you but I've chosen bark psychosis", though. I always got a kick out of that.

Biggie Samuels said...

Si.

charlie m. said...

i havent see the wire list I wish it was posted online. I'd be very angry if one or more of Andrew Chalks lovely cds from the year aren't on it (after hearing a few just now)

I know your probably not a whitehouse fan but william bennetts rants about the wire are hilarious....

Biggie Samuels said...

There's actually something in this issue about how Whitehouse are okay-to-like because their music is about impotence, not power. Certainly, if William Bennett has nothing better to rant about than a music rag, well...

I actually hesitated to admit to getting The Wire, as so many blog-reading types really love to hate on it. Still, I figured that Joanna Newsom had become the new target for glib, misinformed criticism (just kidding, Carl!) and that no-one would call me on it. So far, so good.

carl said...

I'm calling you on it! errr.. and myself as.. y'know.. i bought a copy too....

carl said...

you know.. i bought a copy too...re Newsom....yeah actually i quite like the record but for god's sake dont tell anyone.. i suppose all will be revealed when i post that itunes list up...(gulp)

carl said...

te gustaria si hablaremos en espanol de ahora en adelante?

Biggie Samuels said...

"you know.. i bought a copy too...re Newsom....yeah actually i quite like the record but for god's sake dont tell anyone.."

Whoops!