Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Okay... Okay...
...As Larry David would say.
I've asked this question before, I know, but: What Is Happening On Veronica Mars?

Let's review the facts. Not the obvious facts... obviously...


1. Last season was all "about" the social problems caused by economic polarization.


2. Figuring that out wouldn't have helped you to solve the mystery. No, no - the culprit's actions were caused by a different type of pathology altogether. I won't get more specific, in case you are yet to experience the joys of Season Two.


3. This season seems to be all "about" - for want of a less brazenly Post-Structuralist term - reterritorialization, specifically in regards to organizations. That is to say, an organization - say a university, a fraternity or a feminist group - might start out with noble, rebellious or subversive intentions but the great abstract force of The System will soon invade its logic and reduce its actions to empty gestures that only serve to reinforce the status quo.

4. Figuring this out won't help you solve the mystery. Presumably. Kris thinks that the Dean's wife (of all people!) dunnit. Don't ask me.

5. I haven't had any Veronica-related hate mail for a while. Apparently, I miss it.

2 comments:

Samuel said...

Interesting additional tidbit: I recently found out that the VMars pilot was originally written with HBO or Showcase in mind and it was indeed loaded with swears. Just think, if someone at one of those networks had had the sense to develop the show, you idiots would be banging on about how great it is, just like I am.

Samuel said...

Also, according to the official Rob Thomas website...

http://www.slaverats.com/

...the creator of VMars has exactly the same taste in movies and TV as I do and the exact opposite taste in music to mine (best summed up by the phrase "Radiohead pre-Kid A").

We watched the Thomas-penned teen flick "Driving Me Crazy" this weekend. A minor work, I'd say.