Sunday, August 22, 2004

Well, after not blogging since Feb, this is my second post of the day. I was shocked at first to see the new Blogger interface and, for a while, though it wasn't working (it seems to take a while to publish posts). But now I seem to have it up and running. The previous post of the day was to publicize an upcoming connect_icut show in Vancouver. While I was about it I thought I'd, as usual, explain why I haven't been blogging much lately.

(i) As someone whose made bits and pieces of my income over the years in journalism, editing and copywriting, writing has really come to seem like work; a chore.

(ii) Since starting to put my money where my mouth is and MAKE music, I've found that I've had less and less to say ABOUT music. Because I'm expressing my ideas about music and its context THROUGH music, I'm using an infinitely better format - one that goes way beyond what language can do. I know that sounds pretentious but it's truly the way I feel. I still love good music writing, though, and wish there was more of it about.

(ii) Music blogging seems to be more of a genre than a format. That is to say, it seems to me, that if you're writing a blog about music, you're writing about "grime". I've heard bits and pieces of this new genre of British electronic dance music and I just don't get it. Maybe it's because I don't live in the UK any more but I just can't relate. Therefore, I find it hard to want to communicate with bloggers as peers. I did just write to Simon Reynolds and ask him if in admitting to myself (and everyone else) that I am a 30something white indie rocker, I was declaring myself his enemy. He never got back to me (perhaps he was offended?) Anyway, I still love Simon Reynold, even if I don't know what the hell he's talking about most of the time these days.

(iii) I am going throught the obsessive early stages of Ebay use. This takes up most of my online time. I think, having managed to buy a couple of things (and having run out of CD/record storage space at home) that this will be over soon.

(iv) I know longer believe that the world is about to end. Or at least, I know longer want to talk about it.

(v) I have come to realize that just because I like something, doesn't mean it's good. I mean, come on, there's no excuse AT ALL for the Legendary Pink Dots. This realization has made me start enjoying The Streets though. Who says there's no such thing as so-bad-it's-good?

There's more to say, but my lunch break is over. Let's hope I can keep this spurt of activity up, eh!

No comments: