Wednesday, September 17, 2003

More technical problems. Yesterday, I tried to paste in a thing I wrote about Coil but it didn't work (clearly it's cursed). I'm going to try again right now.

Before I get to that, I should mention that the Fennesz thing seems to be going ahead and that the Maddonna rumours are COMPLETELY UNTRUE!

******************************************************************

Coil are a veterean musical group who are most commonly associated with the
"industrial" genre. Their considerable body of work is not well-loved by rock connosieurs -
most of whom consider it to be risibly pretentious. In the subculture of 21st-century popular music, you see, the greatest sin one can commit is to aspire to something, anything. Coil, meanwhile, root themselves among the tradition of English spiritual visionaries as a firm basis from which to reach for the proverbial sky. At the small-town high school that is music fandom, nothing could be a surer recipe for ridicule.

For those of us who do not wish to spend the rest of our lives in a playground mentality,
Coil's shameless artistic and spiritual ambition is profoundly alluring. That is to say, these
guys have their fans, many of whom are deeply devoted. My own interest is a relatively
recent one and I almost hope that it won't last because Coil's mind altering Moon Musick is not an
easy thing to assimilate into a productive day-to-day life. I can at least comfort myself with the fact that by giving it my attention, even for a short time, this music has rewarded me very deeply indeed. Coil have taught me two simple but vital lessons - that sincerity is its own reward and that Constant Shallowness Leads to Evil.

***********************************************************************

No comments: