Monday, September 08, 2003

Just skimmed a bit of an article in Canada rock rag Exclaim (ashamed to admit I usually take a look) that seemed to be about a new movement in British hip-hop (and what a contradiction in terms that's always been!) that they're calling "Crime Wave". This kind of bullshit is the last thing anyone needs: the people of the UK; hip-hop fans; innocent black people who are just minding the're own business. The ongoing racist glamourization of "playas" makes me want to fucking barf! I don't even give a shit if the music's any good. There's plenty of good music out there that isn't totally socially pernicious, so why even bother fucking with the banality of evil? Fuck that shit! Listen to Mr Lif instead.

On an up note, someone just gave a cassette (a CASSETTE, mind you) of all the early AR Kane singles, which I've been trying to track down for years. Thanks Dave (real name)! Now I have to dig Il Tape Deck out of Il Laundry Room. Anyone who wants to make me a CDR of the complete works of Papa Sprain is very welcome to do so, especially if they make a nice sleeve like Dave did, showing all the original record covers (actually, it's kind of scary, all the trouble he went to).

I should mention that I probably shouldn't jump to such firm and angry conclusions about the Crime Wave article because I didn't really read it - sorry if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick. I think it was written by Martin Turrene, who I've always thought of as one of the more intelligent Simon Reynolds wannabes out there - even if he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about most of the time.

Also, I'm sorry but NO FORCE ON THIS EARTH will convince me that The Streets "Original Pirate Material" isn't THE WORST ALBUM EVER RELEASED.

No comments: